Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Free Credit Report ! How to get this off of my credit?

Free Credit Report ! How to get this off of my credit?

Heres my story:A few years back my step mom recieved some of my credit info in the mail .. instead of informing me .. i'm about 90% sure she stole my info and opened a credit card.First off .. i'm 29 .. i've NEVER had a credit card in my name.I printed out my credit report today and it says this:Capital One Bank Credit CardDate Open - 2000Due: $1171.00Well, thats about when she stole my info.Like i said, i've never applied for a credit card .. i'm EXTREMELY against having credit cards.Theres a few other suspicious things on my report.URG! Where do i start?

The Answer : Where you start depends on whether you want your step mom to be arrested or not.If so, your first step is to file a police report for identity theft. The credit bureau and credit card company won't even listen to you without that, plus an affidavit that you believe your step mom stole it. It will be cleared from your credit report easily. Then, depending on if Capital One wants to investigate a 6 year old fraud case....they will pursue criminal charges. My guess is they won't because of the difficulty in proving their case. They would need to dig up a lot of old records.....But you never know....Or...you can recognize the fact that this debt is most likely beyond the statute of limitations and they can't sue you. It is scheduled to automatically drop off your report after 7 years, so you are already at that point. The problem will disappear by itself, but you will still be stuck with your step mom (sorry). So it just depends on how much family trouble you want to stir up. Personally, if a relative did that to me, I'd fry them .

No comments: