Friday, January 4, 2008

Please Tell Me : what are your legal obligations to pay back debt that is over 10 years old and has been sold off.....?

To a collection agency, its not that much, and I was young and forgot about the whole thing. Now I have these vultures calling me at all hours and making me crazy they are rude so Im rude back- probably shouln't be....oops! what is the deal what can I do to get them to stop threatening me? how do I get rid of them. just pay it? I know I should but they are such assholes!!!
,
I Will Keep my answer short. If you need more help contact me.
,
1) Every state has a Statute of Limitations. If the creditor fails to pursue legal actions against you within that time, they lose their legal right to collect. That time starts from the date of the last transaction. See the link below for more info. Bottom line, if this debt is 10 years old they can not legally sue you for it.
,
2) BUT....the creditor still can ATTEMPT to collect the debt. The just can not SUE YOU. All that's left is their calls and harassment. They are nothing more then a barking dog with no teeth....annoying but they can't do anything to hurt you.
,
3) BUT....you can muzzle these guys very easily. Read the Fair Debt Collections Act and you will see that by sending them a CERTIFIED LETTER demanding that they stop communicating/calling/mailing to you, they must stop. If they continue to bother you, you can file a very simple small claims lawsuit against them for $1000 (plus court costs).
,
This will stop their harassment and they will go away.Remember this. Collections agents depend on the fact that consumers do not know their rights, and do not know the law. Once you do, and make them know it, they will crawl under their rocks and leave you along. Read the Fair Debt Collections Act laws!
,
http://www.carreonandassociates.com/arti...
http://whychat.5u.com/States/ Collection laws
http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcrajump....
http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpajump...ftc acts/letters/info

No comments: