Saturday, October 27, 2007

Improve Poor Credit Score !!!

Iproving A Poor Credit Score ?!!!

I don't know my actual score, but I did the estimator and I'm guessing it is in the mid 500's.I went to college last year and got in way over my head. I was young.. still am, but I realized how important money and credit is. I opened four credit cards last year: two store and two regular. All of them have a balance.
I lived off of them all year: not smart. I know!!! Now, how long do you perceive it will take me to get my credit straightened out. I am on a payment plan and will have all of them paid off by January. Once they are all paid, i know my credit will not boost immediately, but how long should it take. I am moving into an apartment in January and want to make sure i won't need a co-signer. I am still in college and I do have college loans out. I just want a 650 for starters....! HELP!

My total cost of credit debt is: capital one: 400 (but limit is 300)Macys: 200(limit 500)Ny and Co: 400 (limit 200.. ughhh.. missed may and july payment)Chase: 900(limit 600... late fee's)I got a new job and have steady income now.... Paying as much as I can each month now, but in January I am paying all of it off completely.

The Answer : In order to improve your score, you must first know what makes up your score:
1. Payment history-35%
2. Total debt owed vs. Available credit-30%
3. Length of time establishing credit-15%
4. Types of credit established-10%
5. Inquiries and New accounts-10%With that said, I don't have to tell you that the biggest killer to your score are the late payments. Each late payment can take a chunk out your score each time. So the Ny & Co. card dinged you up pretty good. Next, you're more than maxed on 3 cards. Like I mentioned above, that's the 2nd most important aspect of your score. So, with that in mind, my suggestion would be to tackle the overlimit accounts first, since they're doing the most damage to your score.
I would pay the minimum payment on the Macy's, then the Capital One, then the rest I'd split up between Chase and Ny & Co. to get those over limit amounts down as quickly as possible. You didn't mention whether or not if the accounts were still open. It's important that if they are to get them back in good standing as soon as possible, as this is what's going to help bring up your score.
Depending on how quickly you get those accounts in good standing, it may take a little longer than January before your score starts going back up. What I would do is take a 2 pronged approach. Pay all the cards off, and save a little bit here and there for a deposit. Because you just can't rely on just your credit score nowadays. So my advice would be to be patient, start paying everything off and save up to move out.

No comments: