Friday, September 28, 2007

Identity theft issues - where to get financial advice?

Identity theft issues - where to get financial advice?

Where do you go to get financial advice when you have a bad credit score as a result of identity theft? I plan to get a new car as well as a new house/condo in the next year or so, but creditors are quick to reject a bad score,
even though I pay my bills on time and I make good money (single, no dependants)The theft issue is in the process of resolution with appropriate institutions, but creditors don't know that. Do you communicate to creditors themselves or do you get a lawyer? a financial advisor? Not sure what the next steps are!

The Answer : I've been down this road myself, and help people with these questions. Drop me an email if you still need questions answered.I'm confused by your question. when you want to communicate "to creditors themselves" do you mean you want the lenders who turned you down to know your credit was repaired?Or are these the creditors listing bad information on your credit history?Identity theft is a major problem now. But the government has set up very specific procedures that you follow in order to repair your credit history.

Start by visiting the link below and follow the steps. It will involve getting a police report, filing an identity theft report with the credit bureaus, and then sending out dispute letters to everyone who is posting bad info to your history. In some cases they may not cooperate with you. In those cases, you file a small claims lawsuit against them, and if you have followed the correct procedures you will easily win $1000 in damages.It happened to me a few years back, and I had to sue them. Got $1200 for my troubles.

No comments: