Monday, September 17, 2007

How do I get old debts off my credit report without waiting the 7 years?

How do I get old debts off my credit report without waiting the 7 years?

I am 20 years old and my family always moved around a lot, because my dad was military, I recently applied for a few credit cards and all of them were denied, so I decided to check my credit report. Apparently there were 2 unpaid doctor's bills for $46 and $111, obviously if I knew about them, I would've paid them, they are very low amounts. I dont believe it is fair that they should be able to haunt my credit for 7 years because I didn't even know about them. If I pay the balances, is there a way to have them removed so they no longer have a negative effect on my credit? I hope someone can help me because this is really nerve racking! Thanks! =)

The Answer : First of all, you need to understand that there are only two ways to get negative information removed from your credit reports.

1) The creditor fails to respond to a dispute investigation from the credit bureau.

2) The creditor must remove it himself.Very important!!!! Just because you pay off a debt does NOT mean it will be removed from your report. All they are required to do is show the debt paid with a zero balance. But all other negative information will stay. That includes late payments, and the fact that it was charged off and went to collections. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying, or just plain ignorant. Therefore, here is what you need to do.

Follow the dispute process. That involves sending a letter to the credit bureau and disputing the entry. Also send a demand to validate letter to the creditor, and make them prove that this is a valid debt. See the first link below for a flowchart and info on how to do this.If this fails, you will need to contact the creditor and arrange to pay off the debt. Fortunately it's not for a great deal of money. But remember what I just said....they don't HAVE to remove the negative information.

Therefore, as part of your negotiation to pay this off, demand that the credit delete this information, and get this agreement IN WRITING! If they refuse to do it, then DO NOT pay off the debt? Remember, the whole purpose of this is to clean up your credit report. If paying it off won't do it, why on earth would you pay off the debt?

No comments: