Sunday, September 16, 2007

Does any one have a really good solution for lots of debt?


Does any one have a really good solution for lots of debt?
am only 22 and have about $16,000 in debt. Alot of people say that's nothing but to me that is alot of money. I am really desperate cause I only feel myself falling more in debt. I am married and he takes care of everything, all the bills and anything that has to do with our baby. I pay for all my debt that was built up when I was single, I feel it's only fair that I pay for it since it was me that did the deed. So if anyone knows of something or someone that can help get out of debt quick, let me know.
The Answer : There are a lot of variables in this one....The debts you are referring to were incurred prior to your marriage, right? This could be used as leverage because they can not take joint property (in most states). If you have a job they can garnish your wages, but not your husbands. So by using this fact, you could negotiate a settlement for a lower balance.How old are the debts? After a certain amount of time the can not collect them. The average time is around 6 years. Check on the Statute of Limitations in your state.Because of all these factors, you need to either research this a bit, or check with a debt counselor. This is one of the few times I ever recommend it, but what you need is a plan of action, and learn how to organize your debts and learn which ones to pay and which to ignore. You are right. Having a debt of $12k doesn't sound like a lot to these better-then-thou folks who have jobs and lots of piss away money. But to many people who may have been layed off, had medical emergencies, or some other disaster happen in their lives, it's a fortune! Collection agents don't understand this...they don't want excuses, only your money. Anything short of this and you are a deadbeat!

No comments: