Friday, August 24, 2007

How can I legally stop from having my check garnished.?

How can I legally stop from having my check garnished.?

I now have a job and I can pay the debt back now..... I know I owe the money but I didn't have a job and I have been to hell and back with all the problems I have had as of late. Things are really starting to look up for me and I'm not sure what I can do to stop the garnishment with my new job. I am very confused about all of this.

The Answer : Check your state laws on this. Most states allow you to ask the judge to order installment payments instead of garnishment. You need to file a motion for this. The exact procedure depends on which state you are in.If granted, you MUST pay the installment payments on time. If you don't, you will be held in contempt, and the garnishment stay will be lifted. It's very unlikely the judge will allow it again.If you do not live un a state allowing it, there isn't much you can do to prevent it.

No comments: