Saturday, August 25, 2007

Discover Credit ! Someone opened a discover credit card account back in 1989 with my SS# I just got a collection letter.?

Discover Credit ! Someone opened a discover credit card account back in 1989 with my SS# I just got a collection letter.?

Saying I owe them almost $8400.00 I had an account with $0 balance which I closed years ago. I got my discover card in 1997. How can I have 2 accounts? They say I opened one 1989. They have 2 different account numbers. The orignal account was opened in 1989 and was being used until 1998.PS the collection agency that sent the letter is National ActionFinancial Services, Ltd. Very rude people I wanted to dispute and they hung up on me? I need free legal help Please....Any suggestions? Please

The Answer : First , go to the annual credit report and get a copy of your credit report and see if it is on there. (link below to get it). If it is there, file a dispute on this account stating that it is not yours. Make sure you look the report over carefully because it might not state Discover if the collection agency is the one that filed it with the credit reporting agencies. It also might be on there more than once, from Discover and again from the collection agency. You want to dispute anything related to this card.Next, if the collection agency calls you again, tell them to send you proof that it's your account, in writing and that you will only deal with them in writing and not to call your phone number again.It is entirely possible that this card does not have your SS number on it. It might be someone with the same name and the collection agency just found you and decided you might be the same person. But you need more info and don't drop this. If it is being reported on your credit file, it can screw up your credit.All collection agencies are totally rude so don't even worry about that part. Some people (not you) really are deadbeats and really don't pay their bills. Rude collection agencies is about the only way they can get some of them to pay what they owe.

No comments: