Friday, August 31, 2007

Can I get rid of my credit card I've had the longest(high interest/anual fee)will it mess up my credit score?

Can I get rid of my credit card I've had the longest(high interest/anual fee)will it mess up my credit score?


I have 2 other c.c. with 0% interest and no anual fees.I want to get rid of this ridiculous c.c. with an anual fee.

The Answer : Call the credit card company and ask them to remove the annual fee. The interest rate isn't important because you are not going to use it anyway, but you don't want to lose the line item from your credit.

If they won't remove the fee then cancel it. True, your credit score will take a minor hit, but over the next few months it will recover. The trade-off is you won't be paying those fees any more.

This is the only time I ever recommend canceling a credit card.

No comments: